Fort Davis Independent School District says an elementary campus principal is no longer employed after an unauthorized person entered school property through an open gate earlier this month, prompting a district review of campus security procedures.
In a public statement issued Saturday, Fort Davis ISD said an intruder entered the elementary school property without authorization on May 13. District officials said the individual gained access through an open gate and later left the property without harming any students or staff.
According to the district, the campus principal failed to follow required security protocols outlined in the district’s Emergency Operations Plan despite receiving training on those procedures.
Superintendent Jason Crow determined after an investigation that the principal “should not continue in any capacity with the District,” according to the statement. The principal’s employment ended May 14.
District officials said Crow is reviewing security training conducted prior to his tenure as superintendent and plans to implement additional training for staff beyond what is required under state law.
Fort Davis ISD said the district regrets the incident but emphasized that student safety remains a priority for trustees, administrators and staff.
The district did not identify the former principal or provide additional details about the intruder or the circumstances surrounding the incident.
